Saturday, November 11, 2017

Maine Attraction



In quiet moments of reflection, Maine is the place where my mind tends to wander off to. As I mentioned in my last post, I am lucky enough to visit coastal Maine each summer – but the memories of that beautiful place stay with me throughout the year. There is no place I’ve been that rejuvenates me like the mid-coast of Maine does. 




We stay in a small place in Port Clyde, ME. It’s cozy and rustic – and just steps away from the mighty Atlantic Ocean. While most of our vacations center around doing stuff and seeing things, in Maine, it’s different.  Our daily goal is to spend as much time beside that beautiful body of water as we can.  My husband fishes for pollack, striped bass, and mackerel and paints still lifes, while I dive into as many books as I can.  This is truly a vacation of leisure and revitalization.  It’s a slower pace of life, and there is no cell service, no TV, no connection to the outside world – and it’s wonderful.   We focus instead on appreciating each other and mother nature. I relish the calm and the solitude.  Our excitement instead comes from possible sightings from our porch of seals, porpoise, or osprey. In the evenings it’s seeing an inky dark sky filled full with a galaxy full of bright stars, including the Milky Way. I never knew there were so many stars in the sky. During the day we are accompanied by the soothing repetitive sounds of the waves crashing on the rocks and the lobstermen hauling their traps right outside our door. There is no more calming sound to fall asleep to than waves crashing just feet from your bed.

Can't you just hear it now?

Mother-in-law enjoying the serenity of this view


Hauling traps on a lobster boat

Seals basking in the sunlight
 
Fishing near Marshall Point Lighthouse
When we do step off the property, it’s usually to eat – and mostly that sweet and fantastically delicious Maine lobster. I once had a family member challenge me to eat it every day -- and I won that bet. It is so unbelievably fresh – and so much more affordable too. So, I have kept up the tradition of eating lobster with at least one meal every day.  Our favorite way to get our daily fill is a Red’s Eats lobster roll.  It’s the BEST!  The lines are sure to be long, but worth every buttery bite. And they are super friendly to our dogs too. Another favorite is Miller’s Lobster Company in Spruce Head.  The lobster is fresh and delicious, and you can’t beat the view from the picnic tables on their pier. I could go on and on about my love of lobster and how many ways I can eat it – but they have other culinary delights too.  There is an amazing German restaurant in Tenant’s Harbor, The Happy Clam.  We go there at least once each trip. Then there is the famous seven napkin burger at the Owl’s Head General Store – some straight up sloppy goodness! And Rockland has James Beard award-winning, Primo, an upscale farm to table dining experience. So a little bit of something for everyone. 

Ocean kayaking near Port Clyde
When we are out and about on the peninsula and surrounding areas, we love to visit the many, many antique stores and art galleries.  They just might have more of both of these establishments than year-round residents.  If this is a passion of yours, mid-coast Maine is the destination for you. We also ensure we get our daily dose of ice cream, usually in the village of Port Clyde or sometimes at Dorman’s in Rockland. And of course, there are always the lighthouses!  Maine has dozens of iconic lighthouses scattered along its 5,000 miles of coastline.  They are picturesque and peaceful, and we often enjoy spending a couple of hours sitting by their side, just enjoying the scenic beauty. We are lucky to have the idyllic Marshall Point lighthouse just a short walk away. It’s a relaxing place to bring in the dusk – until the mosquitos chase you away. 

Marshall Point Lighthouse

Niece and brother-in-law exploring the rocks near MP Lighthouse

I often say that Maine speaks to my soul.  I feel so at one with nature and myself.  There are few distractions and many opportunities to truly enjoy the best things that life has to offer in its greatest simplicity – beautiful vistas, wildlife, delicious cuisine, great company, elusive leisure time, and peaceful solitude and reflection.  When we have to pack up and leave to return to the real world, I feel torn. I miss my life back home, but I often wonder… why can’t this be my life?  Maybe someday it will. In the meantime, each day at work I gaze at the unforgettable ocean view I can see from the porch of our Maine cottage, or at least the image of it on my desktop background… 

Ahhhhh ...

No comments:

Post a Comment